1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. Growing Peonies
  4. Are Peonies Poisonous To Touch

Are Peonies Poisonous To Touch

Peonies, beautiful and delicate flowers that grace many gardens, are often admired for their striking beauty and sweet fragrance. However, there is a common misconception that peonies are poisonous to touch.

The truth is that the flowers themselves are not poisonous. However, the foliage and stems of the peony contain a substance called paeonol, which can irritate the skin and cause dermatitis in some individuals.

This is not to say that everyone who touches a peony will experience a reaction. In fact, many people can handle peonies without any adverse effects. However, those with sensitive skin or allergies may want to take caution when handling these flowers.

If you do come into contact with the foliage or stems of a peony and experience a reaction, it is important to wash the affected area with soap and water immediately. Applying a cool compress or topical cream may also help to soothe the irritation.

It is worth noting that while peonies are not toxic to humans, they can be toxic to pets such as cats and dogs if ingested. Ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal symptoms. To ensure the safety of your pets, it is best to keep peonies out of their reach.

In summary, while peonies are not necessarily poisonous to touch, they can cause skin irritation in some individuals. It is important to take caution when handling these flowers and to wash the affected area if a reaction occurs. Additionally, pet owners should be aware of the potential dangers of peonies if ingested by their furry friends.

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles